Author: King Arthur
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 2 cups (8½ ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or Perfect Pastry Blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) cold butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) very coarsely grated or diced cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup (about ½ ounce) snipped fresh chives, or finely diced scallion tops (the green part, ¾ ounce)
- ½ pound bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled (about 1 cup)
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons (7 ounces) heavy cream or whipping cream, or enough to make the dough cohesive
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
- ) Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- ) Work the butter into the flour until the mixture is unevenly crumbly, with some of the butter remaining in larger pieces.
- ) Mix in the cheese, chives, and bacon until evenly distributed.
- ) Add ¾ cup of the cream, stirring to combine. Try squeezing the dough together; if it’s crumbly and won’t hang together, or if there are crumbs remaining in the bottom of the bowl, add cream until the dough comes together. Transfer the shaggy dough to a well-floured work surface.
- ) Pat the dough into a smooth 7″ disk about ¾” thick. Transfer the disk to the prepared baking sheet.
- ) Use a knife or bench knife to cut the disk into 8 wedges, spreading the wedges apart a bit on the pan.
- ) Brush the scones with a bit of cream; this will help their crust brown.
- ) Bake the scones for 22 to 24 minutes, until they’re golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool right on the pan. Serve warm, or at room temperature.