Recipes for a Buttermilk Pumpkin Pie and a Chocolate Pumpkin Pie.
Listen to recipe:
Buttermilk Pumpkin Pie
- 1 14.1 oz. package refrigerated pie crust 2 sheets
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs divided
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract divided
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Line 2 (9 inch) pie platters with piecrust. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat sugar, butter, and flour together until fluffy. Add 2 eggs, buttermilk, and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla, beating well to combine. Pour into prepared crust.
Bake for 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, condense milk, remaining 2 eggs, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger, stirring until blended. Pour over cooked buttermilk layer.
Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Let cool completely on wire racks.
Top with ice cream or whipping cream if desired.
Listen to recipe:
Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
- 1 14.4 oz box chocolate graham crackers
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 15 oz. cans pumpkin puree
- 1 7 oz. jar marshmallow cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Frozen nondairy whipping topping thawed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In the work bowl of a food processor, combine graham cracker, sugar, chili powder, and salt. Pulse until mixture is finely ground. Add melted butter and egg white, pulsing until crumbly.
Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 10 inch deep dish pie plate, or removable bottom tart pan. Line crust with parchment paper; add pie weights.
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool. Remove pie weights and parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat pumpkin and marshmallow cream at medium high speed with a mixer until smooth, approximately 3 minutes. Add confectioners' sugar, coconut milk, orange zest, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, coriander, cardamon and salt, beating to combine. Pour mixture into prepared crust.
Bake until set, approximately 1 hour. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for at least 1 hour. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Top with whipped topping.
*** Makes 1 (10 inch) deep dish pie