Apple Walnut Crumble.
Best desert recipe using an apple based center and topped with a crunchy brown sugar, walnut topping.
Listen to recipe:
- 8 cups peeled (cored, and sliced apple, such as Granny Smith or Braeburn)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 4 to 6 (2-cup) individual baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add brown sugar mixture to apples, tossing to combine. Divide apple mixture evenly among prepared baking dishes, mounding, if necessary. Dot tops of apples with butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, walnuts, and salt for topping. Add melted butter, stirring until incorporated. Crumble topping evenly over baked apples.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°. Return apples to oven, and bake until top is browned and apples are bubbly, approximately 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool slightly on a wire rack. Drizzle with maple syrup just before serving.