Copy Cat Olive Garden Bread Sticks
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 16 ounces bread flour (3 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick, softened)
For the top
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm water in a small bowl or measuring cup and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes, or until it becomes foamy on top.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Use the paddle attachment on a stand mixer to mix the softened butter into the flour.
- If you don’t have a stand mixer, use a mixing spoon to combine the butter with the flour.
- When the yeast mixture is foamy, pour it into the flour mixture and use a dough hook on your mixture to combine the ingredients and knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes.
- If you don’t have a stand mixer, combine the ingredients and then knead the dough by hand on a counter top for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a covered container and let it sit for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until it doubles in size.
- When the dough has doubled, measure out 2-ounce portions and roll the dough between your hands or on a counter top to form sticks that are 7 inches long.
- Place the dough on parchment paper-lined baking sheets, cover and set aside for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the dough doubles in size once again.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the bread sticks for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- When the bread sticks come out of the oven, immediately brush each one with melted butter and sprinkle with a little homemade garlic salt.
- Makes 12-13 bread sticks