Homemade Chocolate Bundt cake. Chocolate Cake with chocolate frosting makes a perfect birthday cake.
You can make it as a sheet cake also.
Double Up Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 Tablespoon brewed or instant coffee
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt reduce to 1 teaspoon if using table salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 Tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour sifted
- 1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 in round bundt pan. Set aside.
Place cocoa powder and coffee in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
In the bowl of a mixer, combine sugar, salt, baking soda, eggs, and yolk. Beat on low speed f or about 1 minute. Add buttermilk, oil, and vanilla and beat for another minute or so.
Add flour to sugar mixture and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the cooled cocoa/coffee mixture and beat on low speed for another minute.
Pour into the greased pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
Place the chopped chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Bring the cream to a simmer in a heavy, medium-sized saucepan.
Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until the mixture is completely smooth.
Stir in the vanilla. Refrigerate until the icing is spreadable, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.