- 1 lb All-purpose or bread flour
- 1 t Salt
- 1 1/2 T Dry yeast
- 1 t Sugar
- 1 cup Warm milk
- 2 oz Butter (melted)
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and leave in a warm place.
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm (105 F) milk (M-Waved). Let froth, then mix in the butter.
- Stir all the liquid into the warm flour and beat well until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and proof in a warm place for 50 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn onto a well-floured board and knead, working a little more flour if necessary to make the dough easier to shape.
- Round up the dough, roll into a thick sausage shape and (using the sharpest knife you have) slice into 8 to 10 portions, each about 1 1/2 -1 3/4 inch thick.
- Shape each one into a round with straight sides.
- Put onto a greased baking sheet.
- Cover (use greased plastic wrap) and put in a warm place to proof for 30-40 minutes or until springy to the touch.
- **Leave room for expansion and be careful not to over-proof, as the muffins will get flabby and lose their shape.
- Warm and grease the baking pan lightly.
- Lift the muffins carefully onto the baking pan and cook over very moderate heat for 8-10 minutes until pale gold underneath.
- Turn and cook the other side.
- Wrap in a cloth and keep warm if cooking in batches.
- To serve, insert a knife in the side, pull the top and bottom slightly apart, and insert slivers of butter.