- 1 3/4 c Warm Water (415ml, @115°F)
- 1/4 c Olive Oil (55g)
- 1 t Sea Salt (5g)
- 1 T Sugar (15g)
- 1 1/2 T Active Dry Yeast (17g)
- approx. 5 1/2 c all-purpose (700 g, unbleached Flour)
- 1/8 c Olive Oil (30ml)
- 2 T unsalted Butter (30g)
- 4 cloves Garlic (finely crushed)
- 1/4 c finely chopped fresh Italian Parsley (60ml)
- Sea Salt to taste
- Combine water, 1/4c (55g) olive oil, sea salt, sugar, and active dry yeast in a large resealable container or bowl. Mix to dissolve yeast.
- Add flour. Mix to incorporate flour, cover, and set in a warm spot to proof until doubled in volume (usually 1-3 hrs depending on initial water temp and warmth of proofing area). (A sunny table outside on a warm summer day is perfect for proofing!)
- Chill the dough for a bit (will keep fine in fridge for several days if you want to make the dough ahead of time) to make it easier to handle (this can be skipped if you don’t have the time) then set up your knotting station. Put out a large wooden cutting board and oil liberally. Grab a rolling dowel or pin and oil. Grab a pizza cutter or something similar to slice dough in strips. Put container of flour within easy reach. Line several sheet pans with parchment paper or silpats and place within easy reach.
- Oil your hands to help keep dough from sticking to them. Divide the dough in two parts to make it easier to handle. Take the first half, slap it onto the oiled board several times to flatten. Using the dowel, spread into an even rectangle approx. 5″x16″ and 1/2″ thick. Slice the rectangle into 1/2 squares.
- Pace on baking sheet. After each sheet pan fills up, cover with a dry sack towel, and place in a warm, draft-free spot to rise.
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- After squares have doubled in size, take off dry sack towel and place sheet pans in the oven. Bake for approx. 12-15 min. or until golden.
- While squares are baking, make garlic coating. Gently warm olive oil, butter, and garlic in a small saucepan (if you like your garlic with less of a bite, cook it for a few minutes in oil/butter mix until soft & slightly golden). Add chopped parsley and set aside.
- After removing knots from oven, while still warm, either brush with garlic coating, or place squares in a large bowl and toss with garlic coating. Season with sea salt to taste.