- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick, softened)
- 1–1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 2 tablespoons red food color (one 1-oz. bottle)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 to 2 cans ready-to-spread vanilla frosting (16 oz. each)
- HERSHEY’S Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate or HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13×9-inch baking pan.**
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Stir together buttermilk and food color. Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk mixture, mixing well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost; garnish with chocolate chips, if desired. Makes 12 servings.
- * To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
VARIATION: For heart shapes: Using open-topped heart-shaped cookie cutter (at least 1-1/2 inches deep and 3-inches wide), cut cake into 12 hearts. Frost and decorate as directed.
**Cake can also be baked in two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans. Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely. Frost as desired.
HERSHEY’S RED VELVET CUPCAKES: Line about 28 muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper or foil baking cups. Prepare batter as above; fill each muffin cup about 1/2 full with batter. Bake at 350°F about 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost as desired. About 28 cupcakes.
Recipe complements of: hersheys.com