- 1 Egg white
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Peppermint oil or extract
- Cornstarch for dusting
- 1 16- oz . bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bow, beat the egg white until it is stiff and forms peaks. Don’t use a plastic bowl.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar while blending with an electric mixer set on medium speed.
- Add the corn syrup and peppermint oil or extract and knead the mixture with your hands until it has the smooth consistency of dough.
- Using a flat surface and a rolling pin lightly dusted with cornstarch, roll out the peppermint dough 1/4-inch thick.
- Punch out circles of peppermint dough with a biscuit cutter or a clean can with a diameter of about 2 1/2-inches.
- Make approximately 20, place them on plates or cookie sheets, and let them firm up in the refrigerator, about 45 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave set on high for 2 minutes. Stir halfway through the heating time. Melt thoroughly, but do not overheat.
- Drop each patty into the chocolate and coat completely.
- Using 2 forks, one in each hand, lift the coated patty from the chocolate. Gently tap the forks against the bowl to knock of the excess chocolate and place each patty on waxed paper.
- Chill the peppermint patties until firm, about 30minutes.
- *Makes 20 peppermint patties.