Homemade Spice Cake With Buttercream Frosting. My husband loved this moist cake recipe so much he ate the whole thing. So I had to bake another one.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 and 3/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 12 oz cream cheese, nearly at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, nearly at room temperature
- 3 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pour in vegetable oil and applesauce, set mixer with paddle attachment and blend until well combined (occasionally stop and scrape bowl throughout mixing process).
Divide mixture evenly among two prepared baking pans. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 28 – 32 minutes.
Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until well blended
Frost on cooled cake.