Love Me Tender Mushroom Steak.
Listen to Recipe:
This easy steak recipe is cooked on your stove top.
Tender and juicy.
Made with ground beef and topped with a delicious mushroom sauce.Print
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (or 1/3 cup ordinary breadcrumbs)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 beef bouillon cube (crumbled)
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp dijon mustard OR 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
- 5 oz mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Place breadcrumbs in a bowl. Use a box grater and grate the onion over the breadcrumbs. Mix with fingers, leave to soak for a few minutes.
- Add remaining Salisbury Steak ingredients into the large bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined – don’t over mix.
- Divide into 5 and pat into oval patties around 3/4″ / 1 2/3 cm thick.
Cooking and Gravy
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the steaks and cook the first side for 1 minute or until browned, then flip and brown the other side (they will still be raw inside). Remove onto plate.
- If skillet is looking dry, add a touch more oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for 2 minute until onions are a bit translucent.
- Add the mushrooms into the skillet and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until golden.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add butter. Once melted, add flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add in beef broth, stirring as you go. Once mostly lump free, whisk in remaining Gravy ingredients.
- Add steaks along with the juices on the plate. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes, or until gravy is thickened, stirring occasionally around the steaks. If the gravy thickens too quickly, add more water.
- Remove steaks onto a plate. Taste gravy and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve steaks topped with the mushroom gravy – over mashed potato is ideal! Sprinkle with a bit of parsley if desired.