Pumpkin Bread with Pumpkin Butter Cream Frosting.
Homemade bread, dessert recipe that is baked and topped with a homemade frosting. Prepare for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Listen to recipe:
For the Bread:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (You can substituted light brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup chopped (toasted pecans or walnuts, optional)
For the Pumpkin Butter Cream Frosting:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons half & half or milk
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional, for sprinkling on top)
For the Bread:
- Position your oven rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 5″ loaf pan; set aside.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and allspice in a medium bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- In another bowl, or bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs on medium-high speed for two minutes or until lightened in color. Add the brown sugar, mixing for about 2 minutes, then the granulated sugar, mixing for about 1 minute. Add the orange and lemon zests, if using, and beat for another minute. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Drizzle in the canola oil with beater on medium-low. Reduce speed to low and add the pumpkin puree. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add the dry ingredients in two additions and blend for 10-15 seconds just until incorporated. Fold in the pecans using a rubber spatula.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- ***If you’re going to frost the loaf, you can make the frosting while the loaf is cooling
For the Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting:
- Cream the butter, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and vanilla, blending well. Add powdered sugar a cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Add half & half or milk and blend well.
- ***NOTE: This makes a very thick butter cream frosting. If you want a thinner, creamier frosting, add more half & half or milk until you get the desired consistency.
- ***After frosting the cooled pumpkin loaf, sprinkle with chopped pecans or walnuts if desired.