Sausage Rolls With Creamy Garlic Sauce. Breakfast or appetizer recipe at its best.
- 2 lb cooked sausage links (I like Jimmy Dean’s)
- 4 strips cooked bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried or fresh sage
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup flour (or enough to flour a board)
- 2 pie crust, frozen
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
1 chopped green onion
Heat oil in saucepan, and brown onions and garlic until well caramelized, then remove from heat.
Fry the bacon.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove pie crust from freezer and allow to thaw until pliable.
In a bowl, combine sage, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, beer, breadcrumbs, and cooled onion mix. Use a wooden spoon to combine gently, but thoroughly. Mix in the fried bacon.
Lightly flour a board and place a pie crust down. Taking half the sausage links and add the mixture, form a log about one inch in from the edge, across the entire width. Roll it over so the pastry encases the meat completely, and use a little of the eggs wash to seal the pastry together, allowing a 1/2 inch seam. There will be excess pastry, so just trim it away. Then, using a sharp knife, cut each log into 5-6 pieces. Repeat with second pastry sheet and remaining pork.
Place pieces onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper, brush the tops with remaining egg wash and place into the oven to bake 35-45 minutes until golden brown.
- In a heavy saucepan over a low heat, melt the butter with the garlic. Do not let it brown.
- Add the cream cheese and stir slowly until it melts and blends with the butter and garlic.
- Slowly stir in the milk and salt, and continue heating on low for another 3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked Sausage Rolls
- Add diced cherry tomatoes and green onions on top (if desired)
See more Appetizer Recipe