Spanish Paella is a Spanish dish recipe which is accompanied by any combination of seafood, chicken, pork and various types of herbs and spices. Paella rice is not fattening, provided you include it as part of a balanced diet. I used regular rice in my recipe but you can buy and use Paella rice.Print
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sausage spicy (cut into small slices)
- 1 pound chicken breasts (cut into small cubed pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 pound shrimp (20-30 shrimp, deveined and peeled, with tails still on)
- 8 green onions (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (start with 1 teaspoon and add more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (add more, if desired, – depends on how spicy you want it)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups rice or Paella rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced sausage, sliced chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, covered.
- Add chopped red bell pepper and green bell pepper, stir in with sausage and chicken, cover, and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes, on medium heat.
- Add shrimp and cook until shrimp just turns red. Add chopped green onions.
- Add spices (sweet smoked paprika and red chili powder), add just a touch of turmeric for color. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep the skillet covered. The shrimp and green onions will continue cooking slightly when covered and off heat – without overcooking.
- Cook 2 cups of rice in a sauce pan according to package instructions.
- Add cooked rice into the skillet with shrimp, chicken and sausage. Mix everything well, so that olive oil, juices from spicy sausages, and other cooking juices and spices coat orzo or rice.
- Add some chicken stock or water to make paella more juicy vs. dry. Keep adding more chicken stock or water to achieve the desired consistency of your paella – I think the juicier it is, the better. Add more salt and pepper if needed.