Squash and Cornbread Casserole. Old southern recipe that my grandma made often for dinner.
Squash and Cornbread Casserole
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup each diced bell pepper and celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4-1/2 cups chopped yellow summer squash
- 1 (10-3/4 ounce can) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups cooked and crumbled cornbread
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery and green pepper; saute until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add squash, cook and stir for 2 minutes; stir in cream soup, stir until heated through and remove from heat.
Add cornbread crumbs and seasonings; mix well.
Stir in eggs and transfer to a greased 9 inch round baking dish.
Add diced tomatoes to top.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for about 55 to 60 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
About 4 servings
See more of our Main Dishes