The Best Chicken Chimichangas. A Mexican dish that only takes 20 minutes to bake.
The Best Chicken Chimichangas
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 1 small tomato chopped, plus more for topping
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 and 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 15- ounce can refried beans
- 4 10- inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese plus more for topping
- Sauce for topping (see below)
- Shredded cabbage for topping
- Dollop of Avocado sauce for topping
- Small dollop of sour cream for topping
- Shredded Cheddar cheese for topping
- Mexican rice for serving
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Melt the butter with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet; transfer to a bowl. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon salt; saute for 30 seconds. Add the tomato and cilantro and cook until slightly dry, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken and sour cream and warm through. Remove from the heat.
Brush a baking sheet with some of the butter-oil mixture. Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans down the center of each tortilla, leaving a 2-inch border on both ends. Top with 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold in the ends and roll up.
Put the chimichangas seam-side down on the baking sheet; brush with the butter-oil mixture. Bake 8 to 10 minutes per side, brushing again after you flip. Top with the sauce (recipe below), sour cream, avocado sauce, more cheese, shredded cabbage and tomato. Serve with rice and the remaining beans.
Saute 1/2 cup chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in a skillet with vegetable oil. Add a pinch each of chili powder, cumin, sugar and salt; cook 30 seconds. Stir in two 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles (drained and rinsed); cook 2 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer until thickened, then puree. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
Be sure to see more Main Dish Recipes