The Safest Way To Get Rid Of Poison Ivy. These tips will identify poison ivy and how to safely depose of it.
Know what it looks like:
What you’ll most likely encounter with poison ivy is a stem with a larger leaf at the end, and two smaller leaves shooting off the sides. The leaves can be notched or smooth on the edges, and they have pointed tips. The plant is reddish in the spring, green in summer, and yellow/orange in the fall.
Signs and symptoms you have a poison ivy rash:
Skin redness, itching, swelling or blisters. You could have difficulty breathing, if you’ve inhaled the smoke from burning poison ivy.
How to get rid of it:
First of all: DO NOT BURN POISON IVY. It will spread through the air and infect others. This happened to my son and it was the worse case of poison ivy he ever had.
If you find poison ivy and wish to destroy it, put on gloves and cover the rest of your body with clothing that has been secured with duct tape around the edges. Being careful to not let the poison ivy touch your shin.
Pull the plant out 8 inches below the roots.
Dissolve 1 cup of salt in 1 gallon of water and add in 1 tablespoon of dish soap. Mix well, pour into a water sprayer, and spray away at the pulled vines. Spray the ground around where you pulled it out. Careful this mixture will kill all plants near where you spray.
Depose in a large plastic bad and place in the garbage.
Be sure to take a shower afterwords and wash all clothing you wore in hot water and laundry soap.
You could rent a goat. It doesn’t hurt them, and no use of chemicals.
If you break out with poison ivy then read this: Treating poison Ivy
See more of our Camping and Outdoor Tips